- May 11, 2020
Risk and Precaution during trekking
Updated Dec 2019
Basanta Adventure Treks & Expeditions (BATE) Information on Risk and Liabilities:
Basanta Adventure Treks & Expeditions (BATE) is fully government registered company since 1998. Company organizes treks, tours and travel related services throughout Nepal. BATE also organizes similar activities in Tibet, Bhutan and Sikkim as outbound destinations.
Basanta Adventure is an ISO 9001:2015 certified company for quality service and received Travelife Partner certification for commitment in sustainable tourism.
- All our Guides are Government registered and well qualified.
- All our Guides have gone through various trainings such as high altitude first training, Mountain Guiding and safety, wilderness surviving technique organized by Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA), Trekking Association of Nepal (TAAN) and Kathmandu Environment Educational Project (KEEP).
- Our Guides are fully capable of handling any mountain hazards. All our Guides have minimum of five (5) years experience in different positions as a cook – porter – assistant guide until they are finally promoted to the post of full Trek Leader.
- All our programs and staff are guided by our policy of Responsible Tourism.
- We are pleased to inform that our Guides have scored 99% in the rates of satisfying clients.
- In Kathmandu, prior to the start of the trek or tour we provide detailed briefing and entertain any last minute questions.
- We provide hard copies of general information related to the trek so clients are aware of any requirements. We also provide information on cultural sensitivity do’s and don’ts for both treks and tours.
- BATE word closely with concerned Embassies for the safety of its valued customers.
- Our itinerary is carefully planned to run trekking smoothly and to maximize acclimatization period.
- Trek leaders will carry a Thuraya satellite phone for reliability and efficient communication with Kathmandu office. Client will be allowed to use satellite phone if required, there will be a charge for using this facility.
- Trek leaders provide reports to Kathmandu office on every development during the trekking period.
- We provide one (1) Senior Guide, one (1) Assistant Guide and Sherpa (who take care of porters) for every fifteen (15) persons and one (1) porter for every two ( 2) persons.
- We supply our own packed emergency first aid kit and duffle bags for identification and to avoid being misplaced or lost.
- We use our associate Lodges selected on the bases of cleanliness, safety, location and friendliness. This ensures Lodges will provide additional attention to our clients.
- During the trek leaders will be briefing everyday to ensure clients know their surroundings and are in good form.
- For clients who are walking behind the group, one (1) Staff will always be there to accompany them.
- There will be one (1) runner boy or messenger to communicate between trek leaders and group members.
- We have strong emergency backup system for any eventuality; use of emergency first aid, symptoms of AMS – bring down to lower altitude escorted by experience staff, worse case provide airlift by helicopter.
- All trekkers must be insured and helicopter rescue must be included in their insurance policy. We work with concerned Embassies closely during any rescue operations. This applies to all activities throughout their time in Nepal: trekking, rafting and safari etc.
We use our associate hotels with many years of working relation; this ensures client safety and attention at every property we use.
A COMPETENT GUIDE is key for a successful trip especially if it’s a trekking. We assign only our own well trained, experience (minimum of 5 years as a Guide) and helpful Guide.
We use pioneer airlines in domestic flight especially in trekking sector. Yeti Air and Buddha Air are the biggest and most successful domestic airline. Yeti Air specialized in Lukla sector covering 41 major districts and cities within Nepal – mountain, hill and the terai regions and Buddha Air specialized in Mountain flight and operates in other sector.
We have contract with 2 leading Helicopter Companies for Airlift Rescue Services.
- Air Dynasty
- Air Dynasty has fleet of 3 French ECUREUIL AS 350 helicopters has a capacity of five (5) passengers in addition to the pilot and can fly up to 16,000 ft in altitude.
The AS 350 BA is fitted with a Turbomeca Ariel 1 engine which exhibits superior performance at high altitudes and in hot temperatures.
Owing to its spacious cabin and the wealth of equipment available, it meets the requirements of the most varied missions, in the civilian as well as in the parapublic sector. Its modern and simple design, using largely composite materials (blades, ”Starflex” rotor, airframe, cowling), offers unrivaled comfort by abating the sound and vibration level in the cabin. A completely versatile machine like all the models in the Ecureuil family, it is particularly suitable for external load transport operations with a 1,160kg under sling capability. It is also well-adapted for police, tourist and passenger transport missions.
- Fishtail Air:
- Fishtail Air Pvt. Ltd. has been operating an AS 350B and Bell 206B III types of helicopters
- The AS 350B helicopter is the product of Eurocopter, France and the Bell 206B III helicopter is a product of Bell Textron Helicopters, USA. Both the helicopters are very popular all over the world. They are regarded as one of the most versatile and safest helicopters, and are suitable for mountain flying and all types of helicopter missions. The following features of the AS 350 B helicopters, well explains its utility and performance:
- Fail Safe Design
- Comfortable Seating Arrangements
- 5 Seats excluding Pilot
- Suitable for all types of helicopter missions
- Can fly up to an altitude of 16,000 feet
Fishtail Air have recently acquired AS350 BII, this helicopter can fly up to an altitude of 20,000ft.
The Bell 206B III helicopter is also a versatile helicopter and boasts of the following features:
- Best safety record in its class
- Best auto-rotational characteristics of any helicopters flying today
- Ease of operation and robust cabin structure
- Rupture resistance fuel cells
- Rugged energy attenuating skid gear
Our associate Rafting Company is one of the leading Rafting Companies in Nepal with extensive experience. The company is run by Rafting Expert Mr. Mahendra and Rafting Expert from UK Mr. Gerry Mofatt.
- The company follows International standards in safety norms.
- Company uses the international standard rafting equipments.
- All River Guides are well qualified professional and government registered. They are trained in SRT course (Swift River Training) run by SRT certified trainer from SA. Most of the River guide visits oversea to work as river guide during off- seasons in Nepal.
- 100% safety record.
- Most of the Kayakers are Nepal Champions in yearly Kayak Championship competitions.
- Client receives two briefing on rafting: one in Kathmandu and final safety instruction in put in point (Rafting initiation point)
Chitwan National Park:
Our associate Jungle Lodges are well-established hotel/lodge companies with sound reputation in travel trade sector.
- We provide regular safety briefing in Kathmandu and additional briefing by a Naturalist in Chitwan.
- We provide one of experienced naturalists who will brief client on Jungle activities and safety measures that provide extra safety information during jungle walk.
- Our Lodges is easily accessible by road and located short distances from the airport.
- Our Jungle Lodges are considered the best location Lodge based in Sauraha, Chitwan. Some of the animal sighting is possible from the Lodge itself.
- All accommodation is built in permanent building structures.
- 100% safe and satisfied clients.
Medical Briefing:We provide in-depth medical briefing covering all aspects of possible medical problems while in Nepal. Information is provided as a precautionary measure on acute mountain sickness (AMS), and common sickness. Risk: 1. With regard to all risks, we have an excellent safety records to date. It is a pleasure to inform you that we have had no record or any major injuries related to loss of body parts or death of any guest or field staff. We follow our safety guidelines and take safety very seriously.
- On arrival in Kathmandu we brief all clients with regards to health issue in Nepal: safe drinking water and eating.
- We believe in taking maximum precautions in every step to avoid any potential hazards.
- We provide in-depth briefing for every activity by the experts of each activity.
- We provide handouts so clients do not forget relevant information.
- Trekking trails are very easy and we select the safest and cleanest lodges.
- Our staffs are entirely reliable and honest. There is very little danger of theft on trek, our staffs are very vigilant. Nepalese people in general have reputation of being one of friendliest people. Tourists are always welcome.
- Our guides are fully capable of handling any eventualities and familiar with all emergency operations as required. We have two (2) mobile phone numbers available 24 hours a day, ready to accept any call and provide necessary assistant as soon as possible.
- We have very good working relationships with many of the Travel Agencies abroad for more than ten (10) years and reference can be supplied if required.
Emergency Rescue Guidelines:
Emergency rescue/evacuation takes place in the event of any life threatening situation ie serious injuries to vital organs, body parts (broken limps), food poisoning or acute mountain sickness (AMS), and or natural disaster or Political disturbances.
In situations described above our staff/ trek leaders follow guidelines provided below.
- Keep calm and take charge of the situation.
- Leaders must do careful assessment of the situation and find out if situation requires evacuation or on site local treatment. They must try to get help by mobilizing available resources and communicate with Kathmandu office immediately, inform (1) who the injured person is, (2) inform exact location of the incident (3) nature of the incident (4) how far is the location from the nearest hospital or Helipad (5) If possible get personal details of the injured and medical background.
- After communication of the field, Kathamndu Office to mobilize helicopter and doctor on standby if airlift is required. Doctor will also be on standby for any necessary communication/instructions with the Trek leader or injured person.
- Locate nearest landing spot.
- Trek Leaders take necessary action: (1) Apply First Aid or use medical kit supplies available to you. Always communicate with injured person he/she may be allergic to some medicine. (2) use CPR when necessary (3) if situation needs rescue proceed with evacuation.
- Use all emergency numbers (numbers updated every six (6) months)
Basanta Adventure Office: 977 (1) 4440237, 4441321
Basant Cell: 977 9851088349, 977 (1) 4374487 (Resident)
Prerana Cell: 977 9801066650 or 977 9851066650
Cewic Clinic: 977 (1) 4413163
British Embassy: 977 (1) 4414588, 4411590
- Inform Kathmandu of (1) who the injured person is, (2) inform exact location of the incident (3) nature of the incident (4) how far is the location from the nearest hospital or Helipad (6) If possible get personal details of the injured and medical background.
- Wait for Kathmandu Office for further instructions. Injured person to be accompanied by staff/ Trek leaders at all times.
- Kathmandu Office to communicate with all concerned authorities including, hospitals, family, insurance, concerned Embassies.
- When required, send rescue helicopter with doctor and airlift injured person. Incase helicopter fails to take off due to unforeseen circumstances, identify shortest route to nearby hospital or health post or send rescue team or bring injured person to nearby hospital or health post using local resources.
- In Kathmandu airport, Cewic Ambulance will be available for transport. BATE staff will accompany injured person to the clinic.
- At Cewic Clinic proceed with further treatment and/or evacuate home country.
- BATE staff will always be available for any necessary assistance.
- We will update injured person’s conditions to families and any other concerned.
- All other emergencies ie natural disasters we will assess the situation, follow concerned embassy guidelines and evacuate.
Thank you and please do not hesitate to write to me if you have any further questions.
Yours sincerely,Basant Bajracharya